Why I'm Single

Saturday, February 14, 2015

I don't want to be in a relationship. I haven't been in one in a year. Being in a relationship and having a boyfriend aren't the most important things in my life right now. I don't even want to date and haven't done so in over a year so that there is no possible way that the date will flourish into a relationship. I have told some people this, and while some people understand and others don't, it is completely my choice. Here are my reasons why I choose to stay single right now.

1. I'm 21 years old and I'm about to graduate from college. I'm pretty much at the prime of my life right now. I'm about to start my career and basically my life. But, I am also still learning who I am. I want to fall in love with myself before I do with someone else. I want to be confident in my abilities. I want to really enjoy life.

2. I don't want to be dependent. After my last relationship I could have started dating right away. I know many women who do this, become co-dependent and start a new relationship right after their old one ends. They need a man to make them happy and forget their previous partner. But I don't. I don't need someone else to make me feel good about myself.

3. Guys come and go, but your girl friends are forever. I've made friends in college who I can say will be my good friends for life. I value their friendship so much. I want to be able to spend time with them while we're all in the same area before we all go our separate ways.

4. I want to travel the world. Being in one area or one job for the rest of my life scares me. I want to be able to have the possibility to move where ever and whenever I want. Being in a relationship complicates that because I can't just think about myself and my needs. I would need to think about them as well. I don't want to do that right now. I want to be free.

5. I don't want to sacrifice my needs and dreams for any man. It's easy to feel content with being someones girlfriend when you're in love. I know I've been there. But 20 years from now do I want to look back on my life and see myself not pursuing my dreams because I was too focused on love. Or do I want to look back and say I did everything I wanted to do, and if I didn't at least I tried. I chose the later.

6. Last but not least, I'm a little scared. It's a scary thing to be with someone. You become so vulnerable that it's so easy to get hurt. It's not a nice feeling and after my previous relationship, it's not something I want to go through again anytime soon.

But just because I'm choosing not to love someone else doesn't mean I don't love. I love my family, my friends, and recently I've been loving nature more. I really want to give these three things all of my love and make them realize how important they are in my life.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images