Wanderlust

Friday, March 14, 2014

Ever since I've gotten back from studying abroad, I've had a desire to leave. Not necessarily leave the United States or California, because this is my home and I'm the person I am because of where I was raised. But I've just had the urge to go out and explore and see things that I've never seen before. The only other state that I've been to is Nevada and that's only because of Las Vegas. I haven't even been anywhere farther north than San Luis Obispo, CA. There are so many things in California and the United States that I feel I need to go out and see. I have this wanderlust in me that's pushing me to take any opportunity I can to go travel.


I know some people aren't very comfortable with traveling or would like to spend their spare time relaxing in their home. And that's totally fine, I understand how they feel. But I personally want to see the world. My reasoning for this is that nothing is holding me back. I don't have anything major going on right now. I mean I have school. But when I don't, I don't have to think about my career, kids, paying rent or anything like that. When I get older, it's going to be so much more difficult to travel because I would have to bring my kids along and try to make them happy. I'd also have to think about my career because I know that I'm going to have to constantly think about my professional image as well as establishing myself permanently at one point. Right now, when I am truly free is when I should be taking advantage of this time where I can travel worry free. I'm 20 years old, right now I should be trying to make myself happy. I have the rest of my life to worry about the important things in life. So right now I'm not and I'm going to go travel. 

In a sense feel like Chris McCandless from Into The Wild with that sense of urge to travel and be at one with nature. Like him, I want to see the beautiful things in this country and in my home state. I know that by doing this I'd be in a sense leaving the relationships I already have at home. It's a scary thought picking up your whole life and constantly moving in order to see different things. If I travel like the way that I am expecting myself to travel in the future, I know I won't see my family as much. It's hard not seeing your family, but they know that I've changed since I've returned from my trip. I'm not like Chris where I had a bad relationship with my parents. I love them and consider my mom one of my closest friends. My parents have sacrificed so much for me and my sister that I will forever be grateful to them. But right now I need to discover myself and pursue this urge I have. I'm really grateful and glad my family is supporting me and giving me my freedom to go out on my own and discover who I am. 

After much planning and talking, I'm excited to announce that for this spring break I am finally going to go travel. I know there's that American mentality or imagine that we all go to Cancun for spring break and go crazy. That is not true because every spring break in my life I have spent at home either reading or watching shows on my laptop. But I don't want to do that anymore. Don't get my wrong I like reading for fun and there's just some shows I really like to watch. But I don't want to dedicate the time I have that I could be doing something else just chilling at my parents house. So for this spring break I am doing a road trip with my friends and sister up to San Francisco and a few other places. And I'm not doing this to party and go crazy. I've never been here before so I'm really excited to see what Northern California is like with close friends and my sister. 

Another trip is also in the making, but I don't necessarily want to talk about it incase things don't come out as planned. This trip needs a lot more time to plan and circumstances to consider. But if it works out it will probably be one of the most amazing opportunities I can have. I'm excited to see what else I can see and learn from the world and will continue to travel when the opportunity comes up. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images