Blue is the Warmest Color

Sunday, March 09, 2014


There are very few movies that leave a big impression on me. Perhaps it has to deal with the fact that I prefer movies that seem more realistic or have a positive overall message. One of the movies I've recently seen that has me constantly thinking about it is Blue Is The Warmest Color

Blue Is The Warmest Color is a French coming of age film directed by Abdellatiff Kechiche starring Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux. The film focuses on Adele (Exharchopoulous), a 17 year old girl in high school who is confused about who she is and what she wants. After she starts dating a guy because she wants to fit in with her friends as school, she becomes dissatisfied and breaks up with him. She immediately falls for a woman with blue hair when they cross paths on the street. Adele starts thinking about exploring her sexual identity, and ends up meeting the girl with the blue hair, Emma (Seydoux) at a gay bar. After Adele's friends see her with Emma, they publicly ostracize her and call her a lesbian. The rest of the film focuses on their relationship and shows the growth of these two characters.


I had heard of this movie after a friend of mine put the movie poster on his Facebook wall recommending that everyone should watch it. I got curious and decided to check out the trailer. After that I became really interested in watching it. 

From the beginning I knew what I was getting myself into if I decided to watch this movie. I knew the movie was going to be very sexual and that I would be watching a movie about lesbian love which is something that I have never done before. But after watching the whole thing, the sex and the lesbians wasn't what was important, it was love.

One of the things that I found so great about this movie was that it was so realistic. Who in their life has not been confused with who they are and what they want in life. I know I have. I think all of us at one point in our lives have tried to fit in with our friends at school. Adele did so by dating that guy at school because all of her friends thought he was cute. She realized right away after she had sex with him that it wasn't for her. A lot of us aren't brave enough to realize that what we want and what we think we want are two separate different things and some of us struggle to make those hard decisions. But when we do, we are left with results that can either be good or bad. In Adele's case it was good because she ended up with Emma who she really loved. 

The love portrayed by these two characters was so real. Adele was publicly ostracised because her friends thought she was a lesbian before her relationship even started. But she didn't care, she pursued her relationship with Emma. She wanted a love that she knew wouldn't be acceptable to everyone. I've always thought that love was loving someone unconditionally and wanting the best thing for them no matter what happened to you. That it's about fighting for something no matter what anyone else thought. I saw that in this movie and I had no doubts whatsoever when I was watching it that they were in love. 


However there were things in this film that I questioned. One of them being the sex. Like I mentioned earlier, I knew what I was getting myself into. Watching sex in films does not bother me and it didn't bother me that it was of two lesbians. But the scenes were so long and they were very explicit. You are basically going to see everything, it's not like in rated R movies where they have sex but are under the covers. No, nothing is hidden here you will see them touching each other everywhere and eating each other out. There were points where I thought "maybe I shouldn't tell my friends about this movie what are they going to think of me because I watched this", but this movie is just too good to not talk about. I don't think the scenes should have been explicit as they were; I just didn't see the point towards the overall plot. I liked the comparison from when Adele had sex with the boy in the beginning to her having sex with Emma. With Emma, it showed how Adele was happy and satisfied in comparison to how miserable she looked when she had sex with the guy. That's a good instance for where I felt the scenes were necessary. But other than that it could have been toned down.

This film was so engaging, from the moment it started I wanted to know more and more about what was going to happen to Adele and Emma. I wanted to see where their relationship was going and how both characters would progress. The way the movie ended in my opinion was very realistic and left me content. The end demonstrated that we're human, we make mistakes we have to live by them and move on with our lives. I highly recommend this film. But I do think people should watch this who are older because of the explicit sexual scenes. Other than that I would say that this is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images