Day 2 - Meditate For Fifteen Minutes

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

About a couple months ago, I was reading How to Make Magic With Gaia by Francesca Howell and in one of the chapters it talked about meditation. I was very intrigued and wanted to try it, but at the time I was really busy with school and eventually I just forgot about it. So for day two, I was actually really happy and excited about this one because I've always wanted to try meditation. Now I had an excuse to do it.

Since I've never done it before, I didn't really know what to do. I remembered on one of Ella Grace Denton's Instagram post she mentioned she downloaded the app Headspace to start her 30 days of meditation. I'm the kind of person who tries things based on peoples recommendations. I downloaded the app and it gave me 10 free days. Although the challenge was to meditate for 15 minutes, I actually did 10 because that's how long each session is.

At 2:30 P.M., I sat upright in my chair, faced the window in my room, and pressed play. Immediately Andy's voice was so soothing and reassuring that I felt he personally understood what I was feeling. I began with my eyes open, focusing, and becoming aware of the space around me. After, I closed my eyes and started to become aware of my breath. Even though I've never meditated before, I felt pretty comfortable at this point. I have been doing yoga for a year and know breathing practices such as ujjayi breath, so the breathing aspect felt quite natural.

I then started to become aware of how my body was feeling. My shoulders and back hurt because I had been at my desk all day, but my fingertips and toes felt light. When Andy told me to count my breaths, at one point I felt weightless as if I was floating. I have never felt anything like it before. When my mind started to wonder off, somehow Andy read it and said that was natural. He really does talk to you every step of the way. At the end of the session, I opened my eyes, saw my cat, and felt calm, relaxed, and connected with myself.

Even though it was only 10 minutes, I felt completely amazing after my meditation session. Sometimes were too busy with our every day lives that we don't think or become aware of how our body feels or moves. I think I'm going to continue with my 10 days and hopefully start meditating every single day.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images