Day 1 - Stay Offline For One Day

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Yesterday I spent a whole 24 hours offline. I didn't go on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Youtube, which I go on every single day. To be honest I thought the day was going to be very difficult. I'm always on my phone and I constantly have the urge to check my screen and see if anyone sent me anything, so being completely offline actually gave me anxiety. Through out the day I kept asking myself, "what if?" What if so and so messaged me, what if I got a snapchat. Before going offline I didn't realize how dependent I was of my phone and how I constantly needed to have my phone on me. Now, I realized being online is just a distraction from what I really need to do.

My day wasn't entirely exciting. I spent the whole day at home. I usually wake up and I check my social media accounts, but instead I woke up and went outside and cuddled with my cat. Since I've moved back home I've become very lazy and have neglected to actually play with her. So to be outside and have her want my attention and feel her soft fur nuzzle against my legs actually felt really nice. It's a far better way to start my day than to see other people's lives through a screen.

I ended up watching the Fellowship of the Ring extended edition with my mom. I haven't seen the Lord of the Rings in such a long time, even though I absolutely love it and has inspired a lot of my life, like the title of this blog. Instead of reading or seeing things I already love, I would usually try to occupy my time trying to distract myself with Youtube videos or my Facebook newsfeed. I did it so much that it became a routine. Throughout the movie I did have the need to check my phone, but I didn't and I'm glad. It's nice that being offline allowed me to reconnect with something that I really love. Also, even though me and my mom were just sitting there not talking to each other, it felt good just being with her. My strongest love language is quality time. I feel very loved when people I care about want to spend time with me. Once I start working, I won't have the free time to actually spend with my mom. I should take advantage of the time I have now to spend it with the people I love instead of my phone.

After, I ended up reading three chapters of A Dance With Dragons. Before I was bitching about the book because it's so long and nothing happens. I love the show, but this book is just a drag. When I was reading this time, I actually liked it. I get distracted really easily, so when I read I usually think of something else and end up checking my phone. I don't give the book the attention it deserves, so I end up not liking it. I love to read, but at the moment haven't been able to enjoy it. When I didn't go on my phone, it forced me to actually pay attention and really get into the story and enjoy my hobby.

Even though it wasn't much, this experience has made me realize that at some point I stopped being human. I stopped longing for contact with other living beings and began to feel content with people's online presence instead of their physical one. The sad things is, I'm not the only one that does this. As humans we've stopped talking and connecting with each other and instead stare at a screen. I don't want that. I want to be a human. I want to live my life and not feel anxious because I don't have my phone on me. I don't need to constantly check my phone and I think from now I won't. I want to live a life talking, hugging, engaging, and connecting with others.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images